Carne Asada and Hatch Chile Skewers
- 1 lb flap meat
- 2 hatch or pasilla chiles
- 1 half white onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Combine the olive oil, soy sauce, sugar, and spices in a flat dish
- Add the flap meat and marinate for 1-3 hours
- Heat a grill, gas or charcoal, to medium high heat
- Char the chiles on a hot grill or on the burners of a stove
- After the chiles have been blackened on all sides place them in paper bag for 20 minutes. This will make them easy to peel.
- Remove from the bag and rinse the blackened skin off the chile. Remove the stem and seed.
- Cut the chile into strips about ¼” wide and 3” long. Set Aside.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, place on a grill and cook on each side until desired doneness. Typically 1-2 minutes per side since flat meat is quite thin. Let sit until cool.
- Slice the meat into strips ¼” white and 3” long. Pass the skewer through the meat and the chile.