- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ½ cups flour
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, milk, baking soda, eggs - beat well. Gradually mix in salt, cream of tartar and flour until a dough forms.
- Wrap dough in parchment or wax paper and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll to about ¼ inch thickness, cut into shapes using cookie cutters and bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes.