Spice Onion Rings
- 4 cups canola oil
- 5 Vidalia onions sliced in ½ inch rounds
- 1 quart buttermilk
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- Cayenne to taste
- Heat canola oil to 350 degrees in fryer or heavy pot.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, chili sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ cup flour.
- Soak the sliced onion rings in the buttermilk mixture for at least 5 minutes, making sure to thoroughly coat the rings.
- Mix the 2 cups of flour with salt and cayenne.
- When ready to fry, place the rings in a bowl and coat entirely with flour.
- Place the rings in the fryer in batches making sure not to crowd the fryer.
- When they are golden and crispy (about 3 minutes) remove, and drain on a paper towel. Salt to taste.