If Instagram is any indication, desserts trend as quickly as the latest runway fashions. Cake pops? So over. Read on for a taste of the desserts you should be eating now.
- Egg waffle cones. Egg waffles have been a staple sweet treat for years in Hong Kong and have made it to Cantonese diners on American shores. The latest dessert trend has basically reshaped the waffle into a cone for elaborate ice cream scoops and sundaes that are oh-so photogenic.
- Rolled ice cream. It’s ice cream, that’s rolled up. Get it? Like egg waffle cones, the frozen dessert is highly photogenic, originally from Asia and also fun to eat. The rolled up ice cream is served in a bowl and topped with all sorts of naughty delights: marshmallows, whipped cream, hot fudge and cookies.
- Crazy extravagant milkshakes. We’ve all had milkshakes, but have you had a crazy milkshake? These mutant freakshakes aren’t for the faint of heart. They’re packed to the brim with what you would expect -- ice cream, whipped cream, toffee or chocolate sauce -- and topped with everything from donuts, Oreos, cupcakes, and candy bars to any other sugary delight you could possibly imagine.
- Sweet and salty together. Salted caramel was only the beginning in a long-lasting love affair with savory elements in our desserts. Whether it’s vegetable-based ice cream flavors or the addition of spices or fresh herbs like basil and rosemary, these sophisticated pairings can keep the sweetness from being too cloying.
- Vegan desserts. Plant-based desserts have existed to accommodate specific dietary requirements, but this trend is going mainstream - with supermarkets, restaurants and bakeries perfecting the art of vegan and gluten-free treats. This is great news even for those of us who don’t have a preference, as it means more interesting and innovative sweets to indulge in.
But don’t take our word for it. Get out there and try some of these trending desserts yourself! Or you can always make a vegan cheesecake or sweet-and-savory tart to bring your homemade treats up to date.