So, you’ve just spent the past few days indulging in lots of holiday sweets, treats, and drinks and you’re not feeling your best. We get it — we’ve all been there! Luckily, all it takes are a few minor tweaks to ensure you’re back to looking and feeling good for the New Year. If you’re ready to get on track (and back in that party dress), scroll down to see 5 ways to detox after a holiday binge.
- Hydration is key. The best way to banish bloat? Water. Sure, you’ve heard that daily hydration is important. But after a few days of feasting, it’s especially key since sugar and salt have played a heavy role in your diet. These two culprits lead to dehydration, which in turn, can wreak havoc on your liver and kidneys. To counteract this, try starting your day with a warm glass of water and lemon to kick your metabolism and digestion into gear. Then, incorporate about 6 to 8 glasses of water into your diet for the rest of the day.
- Prepare accordingly. Now is the best time to throw away any lingering cookies or leftover pie slices. After all, anything that’s outta sight, is outta mind! From there, stock your fridge and pantry full of easy-to-reach-for goodies that work for healthy snacks and meals. These Meal Prep Containers (Amazon $22.99) make it easy to stay properly fueled for the week to come. If the thought of cooking several meals at once doesn’t sound appealing, make a night out of it by grabbing a friend and blasting your favorite tunes as you go!
- Eat your veggies. Bring your body back into sync by consuming lots (approximately 5 cups) of vitamin-rich veggies. The more colorful the better! If you’re looking for ideas, start with this antioxidant packed Spinach Salad or yummy Brussels Sprout recipe.
- Break a sweat. It’s time to rid your body of the toxins that have been building up behind your body’s biggest organ — your skin. By sweating, you’ll make way for more nutrients and water that will replenish your entire system. So hit a hot yoga or cardio class to give your body a boost. If a high-energy workout is the last thing you want, opt for a steam room or sauna sesh instead.
- Catch some zzz’s. When sugar has been your BFF for the past few days, your body will continue to crave the quick source of energy it supplies. Therefore, plan to get approximately 7 to 8 hours a sleep to fend off any cravings from sugar fatigue. If rest isn’t something that comes easy, try switching off electronics or using a chamomile or lavender-infused essential oil (Amazon $8.99) to get your body the rest it needs.
All in all, these 5 tricks will get you back to feeling yourself after some calorie-heavy celebrating.
If it’s your skin that needs some winter solstice pampering, see our tips on Hosting a Spa Day at Home. Might as well make it a fun friend gathering!