You love everything about autumn. Yet, you don’t have the budget to do everything on your fall bucket list. Luckily, there are a variety of great ways to celebrate the season, without dipping too far into your bank account. Everything from making your own autumn decorations, to hosting a scary movie night in, makes it easy to enjoy this time of year—guilt free. Check out these 6 affordable ways to get into the fall spirit.
- Throw a fall harvest potluck. Need an excuse to make your favorite pumpkin spice recipe? Grab your pals and host a potluck! By divvying up the food, you’ll save on meal prep, while still being able to enjoy all of the dishes you love. Just pull together a few nature-inspired table accents to serve as the perfect backdrop for your feast!
- Carve pumpkins. An oldie, but a goodie. One trip to the pumpkin patch—or your local grocer—will leave you with endless hours of creative fun. Involve the kids in the pumpkin prep and cleaning process, then ask them to help you pick a jack-o-lantern theme to carve. The more creative the idea, the better!
- Host a scary movie night. This idea only requires a couch, a TV, and maybe a festive popcorn treat or two. Need ideas for your movie lineup? Take a look here. Note: Not all of these are family-approved, so choose your audience accordingly!
- Create DIY autumn décor. Use all of the lovely outdoor elements (re: leaves, pumpkins, and pine cones) to create an accent that’ll transition your home. Start inside with this festive DIY falling leaves garland, or take it to the entryway with a graphic statement white pumpkin. Either way, there are so many elegant options out there, you're bound to find something that caters to your craft supply—even if you don’t live near the woods.
- Take in the fall foliage The transitioning leaves create one of the most magical sights of the year. Take the views in over a stroll through your local arboretum or trail. If hiking or long walks aren’t your thing, a drive to a more tree-heavy part of the city will also do. Be sure to have fall-themed snacks, cider, and a camera handy to enjoy your colorful day ahead.
- Stir up some festive cocktails There’s nothing more cozy than a fall cocktail with friends to cap off an autumn day. Make an event out of this occasion by allowing guests to partake in the process. Whether contributing a recipe of their own, or just providing an app to share, it’s sure to be an evening that’ll bring the entire crew together. Finish it off with a bonfire and s'mores to send everyone home happy.
Feeling the fall vibes already? Any of these low-cost ideas for celebrating autumn will get you in full seasonal mood in no time!